Speech act can be as ubiquitous as making a promise, saying 'sorry' or inviting friends over to dinner. It's basically words that represent an action. And what fascinates me most is how it varies tremendously with culture!
Truthfully, I was never this eager to learn about cultures. I owe this enthusiasm to my exchange in Canada. Singapore may boast itself to be a cosmopolitan nation but one should stay in Vancouver to experience what a 'truly cosmopolitan' lifestyle really is:
Singaporeans are likely to reject compliments as it’s seen to be humble whereas Canadians tend to agree.
My first day in Canada: I told an American friend she looked great. To my surprise, she responded 'I know!'. That gave me the impression that she's yet another haughty and braggy teen, like what I've seen on MTV's 'Sweet Sixteen'. It took me four months to be able to swallow the fact that 'all Americans are snobbish', because they respond similarly to compliments. Perplexed, I felt as though I was being overly humble but my roommates found it disrespectful when I rejected their compliments.
Only after the 'Speech Act' lecture I've learnt it was more polite to agree than to reject in Western cultures. Intrigued, I perused through Google Scholar to find out more about the are of giving and receiving compliments in Malays. A futile attempt, though not totally. All information was accurate but not well-substantiated.
Malays are 'generous' in giving compliments. But their common ‘compliment receipt’ strategy is to 'deflect'; first, politely agree (e.g. say 'thank you') or more often, reject (e.g. say 'no lah'), followed by ‘deflection’, claiming that these attributes are not possible without God's grace.
Knowing that culture is dynamic, I have this impression that the younger ones (who’re evidently more 'westernised' than their senior counterparts) are more likely to adopt the ‘agree’ response strategy. So I put up the following on my Facebook status and the responses come right after (in the blue box):
All except the last respondent are young-generation Malays. Surprisingly, 3 out of 5 still adhere to the traditional compliment response strategy. A larger sample size is definitely required to prove my ‘hypothesis’.
Looks like I’ve got a lot more to learn about my culture. =)
interesting study done. really like the facebook comments. hmm, i would categorize this study under role play... don't you think so...
ReplyDeleteAgree with Hafiz: an interesting mini-study, though I would prefer not giving them options. But nonetheless a quite revealing one.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteNice study. Isn't it amazing how we Singaporeans are a mix of both west and asian cultural practices in responding to compliments. Most of us do acknowledge the compliment but then always offer something else to make ourselves seem not arrogant. I agree with you that responses change over the generation. It has got me wondering how our children will react. After all Singapore is becoming more globalized. Totally westernized acceptance or will the traditional response strategy remain?
ReplyDeleteHi Sarah
ReplyDeleteI though that it was a pretty good idea to use Facebook for a social experiment.
Well like I have mentioned in my first entry, maybe someday a set "globalized speech act" would emerge with rapid globalization.
I just wonder how would Malays would that has been brought up in maybe a westernized country have reacted to compliments? And would they alter their responses given that they were to be placed in a setting with Malays that were brought up in a non-westernized context.
GuangYi