We observe it when we visit other countries but it never occurred to us that it’s called SPEECH EVENTS i.e. phenomena and behaviour we scrutinise in locals to understand their culture better. Also, to not offend the locals and sometimes, facilitate one’s assimilation into a community should he/she plans to stay permanently.
I aspire to become a teacher; apart from learning and enjoying the different cultures while abroad, I like to observe how school is like in different parts of the world. I hope such experiences can make me a more competent educator.
Pre-school & Primary Education: Singapore vs. Cambodia
“Kids here go to school as and when they like, can enter and leave the classroom as they please,” I was told. Education isn’t compulsory and not a Cambodian government’s priority, thus only a few can afford to go to established schools. As part of my humanitarian expedition in Sihanoukville, I was assigned to teach at and refurbish two schools in the slum.
My first impression: DISSHEVELED!
School = run-down hut with only 1 classroom + operates any two days weekly + kids aged 3 – 14 attend the same classes (no levels) + VOLUNTARY attendance
No proper system = No discipline in kids. Basically, every aspect of the speech event is highly unpredictable: the teacher has to suit to the likings, not needs, of the children.

In Singapore, students adhere strictly to rules. Lesson starts when teacher greets the students, and the latter responds before proceeding on with class, mostly led by the teacher. That’s the rule of interaction. The moment the teacher leaves class, everyone goes berserk until the next teacher comes in to restore order again.
Tertiary Education: Singapore vs Canada
The first lecture I attended in Canada hinted me that I’m in for some differences in classroom behaviour. The genre, setting, topic, function and the tone of the lecture are the same but the participants and the rules and norms of interaction differ.
In Singapore, when a lecturer asks a question, everyone stares right back. This is similar to a monologue. In Canada, everyone will raise their hands and interrupts the lecturer to ask questions. Such ‘dialogue’ only occurs in Singapore’s tutorials. A Canadian friend who teaches at a local high school said that students are encouraged to inquire and be vocal in class since young. This explains their eagerness to ask and answer questions.
Lack of interaction in NUS’s lectures might be due to an Asian value many have been taught since young: respect for the person talking, especially if he is older. Interrupting is impolite and often disrupts what the lecturer has planned to present for class that day.
Back in Singapore, I found it disturbing that an ang moh guy in my class asks questions in tutorials ONLY but not in lecture. Maybe because he has observed Singaporeans’ lecture vs tutorial ‘etiquette’ and decided to just go with the flow? I suppose that’s a first step to be assimilated into our NUS community. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment