12 weeks in class has passed by so quickly and it saddens me that class has ended. It might be my last semester as an undergrad. It might not. Still undecided as of today. But whatever it is, GEK1036 has been one of the more practically-beneficial modules I have ever taken, alongside ES2007S (which is also another CELC-offered module!). I apologise in advance if my post is of a half-past-six standard cost this week is bad for me. 4 level 3000 modules from 24th to 28th. Not good. I hope to make amendments to it after 28th to enhance its content. =)
After having come back recently from exchange in Vancouver, finally some of my questions were answered (from GEK1036 of course!) These were primarily culture-related.
1. Why do Canadians like to compliment, even if they don’t know me?
- Compliments are seen by Westerners as a strategy to get engaged in a conversation.
- It is also seen as a way to maintain good relations.
- Furthermore, their frequent use of ‘negative politeness’ even with strangers, makes them appear more friendly.
2. Why are Canadians ALWAYS giving their seats to the elderly, disabled or pregnant persons (even if there are empty seats at the back) but Singaporeans can’t care less? (Almost everytime an old lady boards a bus, she will get seats at the front.)
- This is definitely the total opposite of what was discussed in class, about Thai and Australian youths on their willingness to help their elderly neighbour.
- Well, this is still a mystery. Maybe because we are more respectful in terms of granting them self-independence and less so of offering help? Or simply because, we are just being self-centred. Well ... This is yet left unanswered.
3. Why do Canadians participate more actively in class?
- Lessons can be seen as speech event and to them, everything seems the same as what we observe in Singapore classrooms except for one: the participants. Apparently the power difference between the two main participants (students and teacher) is smaller in Canadian society.
- I’ve ever chanced upon an Afghan immigrant teacher and she was complaining to me how loud her students can be. And that she finds it rude how the students can talk while she teaches. Another clash of culture! =)
4. Why do Canadians always agree to compliments? And why do they look surprised when I don’t ‘accept’ their compliment?
- Well, it is in their favour to agree because in the Western society, Leech’s Agreement Maxim takes greater weight.
- For an Asians like myself, it is very typical for our society to adopt the Modesty Maxim i.e. to minimise self-praise, maximise self-dispraise. Hence, my rejection or deflection from the compliment given.
- Furthermore, Canadians LOVE to give compliments because to them, it minimises the distance between the two parties. However, if done onto a stranger, compliments or behaving very jocularly may seem as a face threatening act.
5. Why do I get along better with Canadians with Asian descent?
- Well, simply because Asians are more likely to have similar cultures hence more things to share and talk about, especially so because they’re common topics.
- Being culturally similar, we are more likely to practice the same rules and laws during a speech act/event.
6. Simply, why are Canadians different from Singaporeans like myself??
- Well, this can be done by comparing the Hofstede’s rules. Well, I need not explain further need I?
Well, I suppose you can guess that I learnt quite a fair bit from this class. =)
Before I sign off (for good), I would like to express my biggest thanks to Dr Deng Xudong for his commitment and effort in making class as interesting and interactive as possible. And also for his vast knowledge and enthusiasm that he had shared with us in class. You have been a great lecturer. =)
Next up, will be the highly enthusiastic coursemates of course! Especially my project team members for their patience and kind understanding. As for everyone, I wish you the best. To those who are graduating, I wish you an advance ‘Happy Graduation!’. May we all succeed and I wish everyone the best for the exams and future!
Communication will never be the same again. Be it in Singapore or anywhere else in the world. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment